SEBA HSLC Class 10 English Grammar – SEBA Question Bank 2020
1. Fill in the blanks with the right determiners:
(a) …rich are not always unkind.
(b) The principal gave the students… sound advice.
(c) Every school has… union of the students.
(d) Is there – coffee left in the pot?
Ans. (a) The, (b) some, (c) a, (d) any.
2. Fill in the blanks with correct prepositions from among the choices given in the brackets:
(a) He always runs…. money. (at/ for/after)
(b) Flour is made…. wheat. (of/from/with)
(c) Write your answer… black ink. (with/ by/ in)
(d) The cow lives … grass. (on/upon/ with)
Ans. (a) after, (b) from, (c) in, (d) on.
3. Rewrite the following sentences putting the verbs in brackets in their correct tense form:
(a) if I (be) you, I would not have called him again.
(b) The principal is not in his room. He (go) out.
Ans. (a) If I were you I would not have called him again.
(b) The Principal is not in the room. He has gone out.
4. Change the form of narration of the following :
(a) Rahim said to me, “Do you know the man standing at the gate”?
(b) The young man told me that he had come from Jorhat to work in Guwahati. Ans. (a) Rahim asked me if I knew the man standing at the gate.
(b) The young man said to me, “I have come from Jorhat to work in Guwahati.”
5. Combine each of the following pairs of sentences into-a single sentence :
(a) The boy is not brave. The boy is not intelligent.
(b )The man created the trouble. The man was arrested.
Ans. (a) The boy is neither brave nor intelligent.
(b) The man who created the trouble was arrested.
6. Choose the correct alternative from the choices given in the brackets.
(a) Mr. John will come to Guwahati. (recently/shortly) Or,
(b) Popular criticism has no (effect/affect) on the politicians.
Ans. (a) Mr. John will come to Guwahati shortly
(b) Popular criticism has no effect on the politicians.
7. Make sentences to illustrate the meaning of any two of the following:
run over, deal in, carry out, in order to
Ans. Run over : The man was run over by a city bus.
Deal in: Raju deals in rice and other food stuff.
Carry out : We should carry out the orders of our parents.
In order to: He laboured hard in order to prosper in life.
8. Correct the errors any two of the following sentences :
(a) He took out his shoes.
(b) I do not know who are you.
(c) She said that she will arrive at 6 p.m. (d) She prefers milk than curd.
Ans. (a) He took off his shoes. (or) He put off his shoes.
(b) I do not know who you are.
(c) She said that she would arrive at 6 p.m.
(d) She prefers milk to curd.