Q. What do you mean by Microbiology and write down the roles of Microbiologists in prevention of HAI in hospital?
Ans: Microbiology means the study of microbes.
The microbiologist is responsible for the following in prevention and control of HAI:
1. Periodic collection of specimens from wards and other areas.
2. Handling patient and staff specimens to maximize the likelihood of a microbiological diagnosis.
3. Developing guidelines for appropriate collection, transport, and handling of specimens.
4. Ensuring laboratory practices to meet appropriate standards.
5. Ensuring safe laboratory practice to prevent infections among staff.
6. Monitoring sterilization and disinfection wherever and whenever necessary.