As a five-year old, Bismillah Khan played gilli-danda near a pond in the ancient estate of Dumraon in Bihar. He would regularly go to the nearby Bihariji temple to sing the Bhojpuri ‘Chaita’, at the end of which he would earn a big laddu weighing 1.25 kg, a prize given by the local Maharaja. This happened 80 years ago, and the little boy has travelled far to earn the highest civilian award in India- the Bharat Ratna. Born on 21 March 1916, Bismillah belongs to a well-known family of musicians from Bihar. His grandfather, Rasool Bux Khan, was the shehnai-nawaz of the Bhojpuri king’s court. His father, Paigambar Bux, and other paternal ancestors were also great shehnai players.
1. At what age did Bismillah Khan play gilli-danda?
(i) four years.
(ii) six years.
(iii) five years.
(iv) two years.
2. Where is the ancient estate of Dumraon located?
(ii) Uttar Pradesh.
3. What is a ‘shehnai”?
(i) Musical instrument.
(ii) Knife used by a barbar.
(iii) Temple song.
4. Bismillah Khan would regularly go to: (i) the pond in the ancient estate.
(ii) the court of the Bhojpuri king.
(iii) the All India Radio centre, Allahabad.
(iv) the Bihariji Temple.
5. The shehnai nawaz of Bhojpuri was:
(i) Bismillah Khan.
(ii) Rasool Bux Khan.
(iii) Ali Bux.
(iv) Paigambar Bux.
6. The little boy travelled far to earn the highest civilian award means:
(i) he travelled a long distance for 80 years.
(ii) he travelled to Delhi.
(iii) his hard work and dedication in 80 years proved to be highly rewarding.
(iv) his travels abroad introduced him to many civilians of different countries.
7. Pick the word from the passage which means “forefather”
8. Tick the correct statement:
(i) Bismillah Khan was given a laddu weighing 1.25 kg for singing the Bhojpuri Chaita.
(ii) Bismillah Khan was given a laddu weighing 1.25 kg for playing the shehnai at the Bihariji Temple.
(iii) Bismillah Khan was given a laddu weighing 1.25 kg for being the shehnai nawaz of King’s court.
(iv)Bismillah Khan was given a laddu weighing 1.25 kg for winning the highest civilian award in India.
9. If maternal means related to the mother’s side, then find the word in the means related to the father’s side: passage which means related to the father’s side:
10. Bismillah Khan was awarded the Bharat Ratna for:
(i) Excellence in the field of literature.
(ii) Excellence in the field of music.
(iii) Belonging to a well known family of musicians.
(iv) Winning a prize from the local Maharaja.